Saturday, March 7, 2009

What is a Therapy Dog - by Sue Kinzie



I didn't know the answer to that question until I was blessed with my first Great Pyrenees. He came to me shortly after I moved to Cochiti Lake. I took him with me to the airport to meet relatives who were coming for a visit. Well, "Bart" as I called him caused quite a stir! People surrounded us to pet him and ask me questions. After all it isn't every day you see a 175 pound white dog at the airport! In the midst of all this a woman approached and said,” he would make a great therapy dog” and slipped me her card.

I called the woman after the holidays and inquired about the process. She explained that after the initial evaluation and two observed visits there were also five training visits in different medical facilities in Albuquerque. After sailing through training, Bart graduated as my first therapy dog. I began this to spend time with my dog and give to the community. Little did I know how enriched my life would become and how important this work is. The incident that follows is an example:

One day Bart and I went to Juvenile Detention. When we visit there, we have to be signed in. Then someone walks us to a big room where they lock the door behind us. There are other therapy dog teams there so I took Bart off to one side because he was so big. Soon we were joined be three inmates who earned the privilege of coming to see us. As the boys approached they said, “I have never seen such a big dog” and, “I didn't know they allowed bears in here”.
One of the boys came over and sat down facing Bart and began to stroke his head. Then he said, "I just got sent back here. I have been here before. I should have gotten a dog, but I made the mistake of returning to my old friends.” He started crying quietly so that the other boys wouldn't notice. He said things to Bart that he didn't dare bring up with them. That wouldn't be cool or macho.

This boy had no one else to share his feelings with so Bart laid his head in the boy's lap as he continued to talk. He cried,” I miss my father and my sister and brothers. I miss my little daughter. My mother was a drug addict. She is dead now. My family struggled with her addiction all my life. I got high with my friends and tried to impress a girl by stealing a computer out of a cop car. What a mistake! Now I am not getting out of here until I am twenty-one and I just turned sixteen.” He continued to cry softly as he buried his face in Bart's woolly coat. He sat with Bart like that until he was called to go back to his cell. As he left he said, “I hope to see you next time. Thanks for listening.” This was the first of many experiences I had with Bart and continue to have as I visit with my other therapy dog, Cody.

So the answer to the question, “What is a Therapy Dog?” It is a dog that is able reach people who do not or can not trust enough to communicate with other people. It is my privilege to facilitate their work!

  • Next month - learn about Sue's great organization she recently founded!

No comments:

Post a Comment